[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp command

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Wed Jun 4 18:18:53 CEST 2008

On Tuesday, 03 June 2008 20:51:42 -0400,
Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

Hi Thomas.

> > I'm trying to use Nagios to monitoring routers and switches on
> > Debian GNU/Linux Etch. The Nagios Plugins version is 1.4.7. Reading
> > Nagios documentation [1], it says:

> > The check_snmp plugin will only get compiled and installed if you
> > have the net-snmp and net-snmp-utils packages installed on your
> > system. Make sure the plugin exists in /usr/local/nagios/libexec
> > before you continue. If it doesn't, install net-snmp and
> > net-snmp-utils and recompile/reinstall the Nagios plugins.

> > I didn't found the net-snmp and net-snmp-utils packages. I try
> > installing libnet-snmp-perl and libsnmp-session-perl, but later
> > compilation I didn't get the check_snmp plugin. Should I to install
> > any other package?

> The names may differ... Try looking for snmp, snmpd or netsnmp. If you
> still can't find it do a search for "snmp".

> Under Ubuntu the package names are snmp and snmpd.

I had already found it. The package was snmp:

sparky:~# aptitude show snmp
Package: snmp
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 5.2.3-7etch2
 The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) provides a framework for
 the exchange of management information between agents (servers) and
 clients.  The NET SNMP applications are a collection of command line
 clients for issuing SNMP requests to agents.

Tags: interface::commandline, network::service, protocol::snmp,
role::program, scope::utility

Now I'm looking for documentation about SNMP to see how to make certain
type of consultations. Some document that you can recommend to me? For
example, to know the statius of any interface and protocol. For the
status of the interface I believe that it would be ifOperStatus.x. Is it
correct? But I didn't find the form to monitor the state of the
protocol, yet.

Thanks for your reply, Thomas.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Bareiro - System Administrator
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37