[Nagiosplug-help] check_mysql_query

kyle smith kyles at apple.com
Sat Jun 14 20:00:09 CEST 2008

Hello,

Here's how i would get this working:

on machine where db lives (your nagios client):
1 - install the nagios plugins and NRPE

2 - make sure the check_mysql_query plugin works as you expect by
running it locally (no -H necessary, use both -w and -c params in
same plugin call):

% /usr/nagios/libexec/check_mysql_query -q 'Select count(*) from
table" -w 1:5 -c 2000000 -P 3306 -u test -p example
<see results here>

3 - once you get this working exactly as you want it to you need to
define a command to use it in the nrpe.cfg file, you have to create a
command name different than the plugin name in your assignment:

command[my_new_command_name]=/usr/nagios/libexec/check_mysql_query -q
'Select count(*) from table" -w 1:5 -c 2000000 -P 3306 -u test -p
example

4 - startup nrpe daemon

% /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

5 - verify check_nrpe plugin and NRPE daemon talking ok

% /usr/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost
NRPE v2.11

6 - verify the command you just set up works ok through check_nrpe
plugin

% /usr/local/nagios/libexec/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
my_new_command_name
<see those same results here>

Now you need to go to your nagios server and get this working from
there. I assume you already have setup this client as a host to the
system and nagios is running a ping test on it.

7 - install check_nrpe plugin

8 - define command to use check_nrpe in your commands.cfg file

define command {
	command_name    check_nrpe
	command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS
$ -c $ARG1$
}

9 - verify communication with the NRPE daemon on your remote client

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
<remote_client_IP_address>NRPE v2.11

10 - execute your newly defined command on the remote client through
the check_nrpe plugin here on the server

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H  <remote_client_IP_address> -
c my_new_command_name<see same results here>

11 - define a service to use this new command you just setup:

define service{
	use		remote-service
	host_name	<client host name as defined in nagios host.cfg>
	service_description     MySQL check for rowcount on table blah
	check_command           check_nrpe!my_new_command_name
}

12 - restart nagios and away you go!

HTH

kyle