[Nagiosplug-help] check_udp help and maybe some tcp?

Jeff Milam jeff.milam at envision-rx.com
Wed Jun 18 19:49:27 CEST 2008

I am trying to check a VPN endpoint for a UDP response in Nagios.

If i define the command as this:

$USER1$/check_udp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 500 $ARG1$ $ARG2$

I receive:

"With UDP checks, a send/expect string must be specified."

And if i define the command as:

$USER1$/check_udp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 500 -s test -e test $ARG1$ $ARG2$

I receive:

"CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds"

I have a feeling this timeout is do to the way i have formulated to send
and expect flags because the connection is not refused but i just don't
know how to define them.

My other question regarding TCP is:

When i use the check_tcp command with the port defined in my host config
(i.e. check_tcp! -p 300) i receive:

"check_tcp: Port must be a positive integer "

Clearly 300 is a positive integer. Can anyone help me out please - or point
me in a helpful direction!?

Thanks a lot!