[Nagiosplug-help] Inconsistent plugin response status

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed Mar 26 22:25:55 CET 2008

Running Fedora 7 with plugins RPMs 1.4.8-9.fc7. I have some targets
("hosts") with dynamic addresses so I must configure Nagios to reference
them by name, not address. When one of these is not properly registered
with DNS, I get inconsistent results.

target  FTP     CRITICAL  ...  FTP CRITICAL - Invalid hostname, address
or socket: target
        HTTP    CRITICAL  ...  Name or service not known
        PING    UNKNOWN   ...  check_ping: Invalid hostname/address -
target
        SSH     UNKNOWN   ...  check_ssh: Invalid hostname/address -
target
        TELNET  CRITICAL  ...  TCP CRITICAL - Invalid hostname, address
or socket: target

The different status information messages are not a concern. However,
the inconsistent colors between CRITICAL and UNKNOWN makes it difficult
to evaluate status at a glance. Any suggestions? (I think I'd prefer
that all plugins returned UNKNOWN in this case.)

	Dave Close