[Nagiosplug-help] Check the space on a windows folder

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Tue May 27 17:34:30 CEST 2008

I guess the idea is to know that that key folder isn't going to run out
of space..

ergo, it's a design-of-the-system issue, not a monitoring issue.

this is probably obvious to experienced admins, and may be obvious to
everyone, but ;-)

If you want c:\mail\spool to NOT run out of space, and it's on the same
partition as c:\mail\logs (for example)
then your real goal is to ensure that c:\mail\logs doesn't grow and fill
up available space on c:\ or c:\mail (assuming \mail is someplace else)

That being said, I'd create a logical drive for "\mail\spool" and put it
on an "f:" drive or something like that.

Then monitor that partition, and you know that the ONLY thing affecting
the space on that partition is going to be actual mail files.

So in a sense, just monitoring the space on C: will tell you that
there's free space for c:\mail\spool  -- or anything else in any other
folder on that drive.

If the available space starts going down, simply monitoring C: won't
tell you -where- the problem is, and I think that's what Riccardo really
wants to see.

Tim Reimers
Systems Analyst II
Information Technology Services