[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE mystery

matthias eble matthias.eble at mailing.kaufland-informationssysteme.com
Thu Nov 20 08:29:28 CET 2008

> On Nagios Server:
> root at cuba:~# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H asqstage -c
> check_users
> USERS CRITICAL - 10 users currently logged in |users=10;2;3;0
>
> root at cuba:~# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H asqstage -c
> check_remote
> Connection refused

Hi,

I assume you have checked the command definitions for check_nrpe and
also checked the return codes of the plugins?
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H asqstage -c check_remote; echo
$?

> check users     OK      11-20-2008 14:20:41     0d 0h 20m 28s   1/3
> USERS CRITICAL - 10 users currently logged in

This should not happen under normal circumstances.
I'd presume, the return code gets swapped somewhere.

> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ; Name
> of service template to use
>         host_name                       asqstage
>         service_description             check users
>         check_command                   check_nrpe!check_users
>         }
>
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service         ; Name
> of service template to use
>         host_name                       asqstage
>         service_description             check Remote Trace
>         check_command                   check_nrpe!check_remote
>         }

you might want to send your command definition for check_nrpe.
OTOH you're probably using this definition successfully on other hosts.

Matthias