[Nagiosplug-help] (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

kyle smith kyles at apple.com
Fri Oct 10 20:09:53 CEST 2008

Here's what I do when I need to sort out plugin problems. Note that
you install the check_nrpe plugin on your clients for testing
purposes only. If all these things work then you should be golden!

good luck

kyle

TO TEST CHECK_NRPE COMMANDS

ON REMOTE HOST (nagios client)

* test check_nrpe plugin
hosta:/usr/local/nagios root# libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost
NRPE v2.11

* test the local plugin you call from your command which you define
in nrpe.cfg
hosta:/usr/local/nagios root# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w
50% -c 5% -p /dev/disk0s9
DISK OK - free space: / 48578 MB (85% inode=84%);| /=8412MB;
28620;54378;0;57241

* test command defined in nrpe.cfg by running via check_nrpe plugin
(installed for test purposes only)
hosta:/usr/local/nagios root# libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
check_disk_hosta
DISK OK - free space: / 48578 MB (85% inode=84%);| /=8412MB;
28620;54378;0;57241

ON NAGIOS SERVER
* check the nrpe daemon on remote host
hostb:/usr/local/nagios root# libexec/check_nrpe -H hosta_ip_address
NRPE v2.11

* check the newly setup command via check_nrpe plugin
hostb:/usr/local/nagios root# libexec/check_nrpe -H hosta_ip_address -
c check_disk_hosta