[Nagiosplug-help] SEcurity problem with nagios

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Mon Sep 15 19:40:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> g.lancellotti wrote:
>
>>  NSCA communication with HTTP
>>
>> We would like to communicate between the send_nsca program and the NSCA daemon trought firewalls and using HTTP protocol.
>>

> That sounds insanely difficult. Why not just run nsca on port 80 and then
> pretend it's a webserver?

Just guessing but what if the OP is also running Apache to serve Nagios
on port 80?  It wouldn't be a problem if the OP's Nagios server has
multiple IP addresses but we don't have that information.

>> Is this configuration built-in in Nagios or available with add-on ?
>>

> Getting nsca to understand HTTP requests is not built in, but you can
> get it to run on any port you like. See the documentation (or the sample
> configuration file) for how to go about achieving this.

Yeah I agree, running NCSA on port 80 is the only option if the OP
doesn't have access to modify their firewall.

Thanks,
Andy