[Nagiosplug-help] Inexplicable pattern match failure of check_http since update

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Apr 2 06:21:23 CEST 2009

On 01/04/09 12:52 PM, Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:

> Now this seems to work.
> This must have changed from version 2.9 where my former pattern worked.

Strange... Maybe you're using a different shell?

> First I thought I also would have to enable the regexp directives
> or fumble with the illegal chars directives,
> but I hadn't enabled nor had them differently set anyway
>

> [nagios at nagsaz:~]
> $ grep -E '^[^#]*(regexp|char)' /opt/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
> illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
> illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>

This affects only plugin output and/or macro usage in commands

> use_regexp_matching=0
> use_true_regexp_matching=0

That's totally unrelated to check_http's regexp - this is for nagios
configuration directives.

See Nagios documentation for more details:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html

>>> It's no difference whether I reschedule the check via the
>> web interface or pipe it into the FIFO as done above.
>>> So why does an externally enforced rescheduling of the
>> check then doesn't get executed?
>>> Is this due to some clever scheduling algorithm that I have
>> missed here so far, or some neglected config setting?
>>
>> It probably does, but unless you enable state stalking Nagios
>> only logs
>> state changes.
>>

> Is state stalking a new Nagios 3.X feature?
> I can't find such a directive in my nagios.cfg
>
> [nagios at nagsaz:~]
> $ grep -ci stalk /opt/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
> 0

This is an object configuration:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html

Stalking is most useful for Traps/Volatile services ewhen you can
receive various errors on the same service - you may want to log each of
them. It's also useful on very critical services where you want to know
what went on at each check during a failure.

You can enable it on specific states - you probably don't want it on OK
states because it will fill your logs with OK results.

> This irritates me a little, that I can't see every externally
> rescheduled check in the ascii log.
> I would rather like to follow them in the ascii log in the filesystem
> than in the web gui
> because, even though I have daily log rotation, my browser gets hung if
> I click to see the day's event log
> because of the many entries (you can notice the scroll bar's click
> button getting ever narrower)
> So would state stalking care for everything gets logged in the ascii
> log?

In the web gui, it shouldn't be long to load the service details. If you
need to automate fetching this information you can also try
Nagios::StatusLog.

- --
Thomas