[Nagiosplug-help] Antwort: Nagios Scheduler Hangs with Forking Issue since Upgrade from Nagios 2.9 to 3

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Wed Apr 22 11:22:31 CEST 2009

<Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de> schrieb am 20.04.2009 11:44:57:

> Are these user limits for nagios ok?
> Currently I only have 270 host and abt. 825 service checks that need
> to be performed.

Yes they are. I prolly run like 10 times your setup and I do fine.
I just have -i and -u set to 94207 - but actually I'm sure I didn't
do that manually and it's default. ;)

> [1239746405] Warning: The check of service 'check-ha-log-warn' on
> host 'cebu' could not be performed due to a fork() error: 'Cannot
> allocate memory'.  The check will be rescheduled.

512MB RAM is not really much for nagios ...
Are you sure the system did not run out of low memory?
What does 'free -l' say?

> It looks as if almost all 1024 file descriptors were used up for
> open spool files (probably pending spooled checks)
>
> [root at nagsaz:~]
> # lsof -nP -p $(pgrep -P1 nagios)|wc -l
> 1042

I think that's actualy misleading. I can't even issue an
'lsof -nP -p $(pgrep -P1 nagios)' on my system as the processes
that pgrep found already terminated before lsof could even list them.
And then lsof shows much more then just open files. I'm pretty sure
that's not 1042 open files.

[root at essnagios01 ~]# lsof -nP -u nagios | wc -l
1650

With 1024 max open files for nagios that can't really be true, can it? ;)

> [root at nagsaz:~]
> # lsof -nP -p $(pgrep -P1 nagios)|grep -c /opt/nagios/var/spool/
> 1019

Why not use 'lsof -nP -u nagios'?

> Sorry, for the lengthy and flaky description.
> Could someone possibly give me a clue what might be causing this?

If you have enabled embedded perl - it's embedded perl's fault.
At least for 90% of all "strange" nagios errors that's true ;-)
Try turning it off and see if anything changes.

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522