[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp

csavino at hhomesltd.com csavino at hhomesltd.com
Thu Aug 6 13:53:59 CEST 2009

Thanks Ian. I got it working by fixing some configuration problems. Here
is what I did:

I have resolved the issue on both my machines.

On my second test machine, I noticed that the net-snmp-5.4.2.1 got an
error at the end of configure, missing lperl. So I installed several perl
modules and then configured net-snmp successfully, after that I
reconfigured the 1.4.11 plugins followed by make and make install.
Finally, the check_snmp appeared.

The packages I installed were (in this order)

1. sudo apt-get install libperl-dev
2. sudo apt-get install libnet-snmp-perl
3. sudo apt-get install libsnmp-session-perl
4. downloaded net-snmp-5.4.2.1 from net-snmp.sourceforge.net, then
./configure, make and finally make install

after that, downloaded nagios-plugins-1.4.11.tar.gz from sourceforge.net,
followed by
sudo tar xvzf nagios-plugins-1.4.11.tar.gz
cd nagios-plugins-1.4.11
sudo ./configure --with-nagios-user=nagiois --with-nagios-group=nagios
sudo make
sudo make install

The other machine had nagios-plugins-1.4.13 installed. There was an issue
with check_http and I think the install bailed out when it hit that error
and did not process the rest of the plugins, including check_snmp. I could
not resolve that error so I backed up to nagios-plugins-1.4.11 and had
success.

This procedure worked successfully today. As time goes by and versions of
packages get updated, it will likely be obsolete. The key was to force
myself to look carefully at all the output of each step and figure out
what the warnings and errors meant in terms of a final result.

Nagios has been quite a hard dance to learn.

Regards,

Chuck