[Nagiosplug-help] Regarding Reports in Nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 26 14:20:17 CEST 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Saiprasad @ Yahoo wrote:

> I am generating an Availability report in Nagios but the output is
> something weired wherein the Event Duration does not give the data
> of all 24 hrs. I think the attached JPG will make my question more
> clear.

The event duration is simply the time between log entries related to
that host/service.

> Can someone please throw some light on this, as this is very serious
> for me and does not give me an accurate data.

The summary data above this section is 'accurate'. The entries you
note are points at which you are restarting nagios I expect and you
have log_initial_states enabled in nagios.cfg.

When generating this list, nagios looks through nagios.log (or the
archives) for any entries matching the host/service, calculates the
times between them and displays them. The state does not factor into
this particular calculation. There are features of nagios where that
wouldn't be desired (state stalking, for example).

Nagios does not normally log OK states unless it is a recovery from an
outage so under 'normal' circumstances, the breakout list would be
more like what you are expecting. Turn off 'log_initial_states' to do
that.

--
Marc

p.s. This question is more relevant on nagios-users than here...