[Nagiosplug-help] Nagios report state UNKOWN when OK

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:58:28 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Fredrik Stridfeldt
<stridfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is a problem that I've been having for quite some time. Searching
> the archives turns up a few other people reporting the same problem, but
> I can't find a solution.
>
> I use check_by_ssh to run the check_disk plugin on a few
> remote systems. When I run this from the command line, it always does
> the right thing. It returns the correct string and return code (checked
> with 'echo $?'). It works flawlessly.
>
> /usr/local/groundwork/nagios/libexec/check_by_ssh -H 10.194.145.142 -t 60 -l
> "nagios" -C "libexec/check_disk -w 400 -c 200 -p /"
> DISK OK - free space: / 14049 MB (82%);| /=3099MB;16747;16947;0;17147
> -bash-3.2$ echo $?
> 0
> -bash-3.2$
>
> However, when this is set up to run through Nagios, it usually reports
> the check in the UNKNOWN state...even though it still gives the correct
> "OK..." string.

Not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but I have had
this on gentoo after the installer changed the default location of the
plugins so that none were found. Everything worked correctly if I ran
the command from the plugins folder so I did not suspect that this was
the problem..

John