[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE: Unable to read output

Brian Tomjack btomjack at suretytek.com
Fri Feb 20 16:54:45 CET 2009

Yesterday during my troubleshooting i thought maybe that would be a
helpful item to try as well. i killed nrpe via xinetd and just ran it
manually with no ssl and then tried that. with no avail. i also ran a
traffic dump at the same time through the core router that they have in
common and it looks like the request is being sent out just fine. the
remote nrpe is sending back the unable to read output to nagios so it is
not the check_nrpe plugin on the nagios server that is having the problem.

So i decided to downgrade the plugins and nrpe to a version that i had
been using successfully on other servers thinking maybe it was just an
incompatibility. So i downgraded recompiled and reconfigured, just in
case. Unfortunately this did not yield a changed result either.

This server will only be a mail server for about 6-9 months more so, i
may just live with not knowing.

Brian