[Nagiosplug-help] check_procs matching problem

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Mon Jul 27 10:46:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

I wonder why my usage of the check_procs plug-in does match on
Linux boxes but doesn't on HP-UX.

On HP-UX I use these versions:

$ uname -srv
HP-UX B.11.11 U

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -V
check_procs (nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.43

and I want to monitor this process

$ UNIX95= ps -C dsmc -o args=
/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc schedule

but somehow this doesn't work

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -c 1:1 -p 1 -a
'/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc schedule'
PROCS CRITICAL: 0 processes with PPID = 1, args
'/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc schedule'

neither this

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -c 1:1 -p 1 -a 'dsmc
schedule'
PROCS CRITICAL: 0 processes with PPID = 1, args 'dsmc schedule'

but only this

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -c 1:1 -p 1 -a dsmc
PROCS OK: 1 process with PPID = 1, args 'dsmc'

But this is too ambiguous because there can be more dsmc
processes be running but only one as the scheduler
(well, ok probably only the scheduler will have a PPID == 1, but
anyway)

On the other hand on Linux this seems to work

$ uname -sri
Linux 2.6.18-8.el5 i386

$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -V
check_procs (nagios-plugins 1.4.9) 1.58

$ ps -C dsmc -o args=
dsmc schedule
dsmc help

$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_procs -c 1:1 -p 1 -a dsmc\
schedule
PROCS OK: 1 process with PPID = 1, args 'dsmc schedule'

I know that the plug-ins' releases differ slightly
but do you have an idea why the proc table parsing does work on
Linux but fails on HP-UX?

It would be easy for this trivial check to write a custom script
plug-in for HP-UX
but I wanted to use the official plug-ins where possible to save
redundant work and because they are well tested.