[Nagiosplug-help] Problem with check_procs plugin

Duncan McCaffery duncan at insiris.com
Fri Jun 5 17:13:03 CEST 2009

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for the information.  I resolved the problem by including
the process command (e.g. check_procs -c /usr/bin/java) as a parameter
to cut out any other matching processes.

I believe what might have happened was that nagios executes the plugin
as a process which contains the query parameters as arguments.
Therefore the process list contains two matches, the nagios plugin
process and the actual process I wanted to monitor.

Of course since the system in question is now in production mode I
have not verified this, so I will need to setup an evaluation system
and try what you suggested to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks again for pointing out a way to debug the plugin!

Best wishes,

Duncan

2009/6/5 matthias eble <matthias.eble at mailing.kaufland-informationssysteme.com>:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 10:26 +0100, Duncan McCaffery wrote:
>> >From the command line if I call check_procs manually I get:
>> PROCS CRITICAL: 0 processes with args 'foo'
>>
>> If I define the following command and associated service using exactly
>> the same parameters
>> Nagios then reports:
>> Status of foo Service OK 2009-05-30 10:11:05 0d 0h 5m 1s 1/4 PROCS OK:
>> 1 process with args 'foo'
>
> Have you tried adding -vvv to the command line and see which processes
> actually run? Maybe some other process matches the argument?
>
> If the output is too long, place a wrapper around check_procs and
> redirect output to a file.
>
> Matthias

Duncan McCaffery | Insiris Limited.
T +44 (0) 1995 642 203 | E duncan at insiris.com | W http://www.insiris.com