[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp_netint.pl and PNP

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Wed Jun 10 20:36:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

At the moment, I'm using MRTG to graph traffic on all switches and
routers.  I'd like to replace this with check_snmp_netint.pl and PNP,
so we can avoid gathering the data twice.

I'm getting errors.  I believe I know why, but I'm looking for a
simple way to get around them.

I've configured my check command like this:

define command {
       command_name     check_snmp_cisco_int
       command_line     $USER1$/check_snmp_netint.pl -C $USER3$ -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 0,0,10,10,10,10 -c 0,0,20,20,20,20 -n $ARG1$ -a -f -e -k -q -mm -F /usr/local/nagios/var/cache/$HOSTADDRESS$
}

Each port has a service, like this one to check port FastEthernet0/9:

define service{
       use                              generic-service,srv-pnp
       hostgroup_name                   AubCisco2924XL,AubCisco3524XL
       service_description              Cisco port FE0/09
       check_command                    check_snmp_cisco_int!^F.+0/9\$
}

The hostgroup contains all switches of that model in the Aub network
segment.  A 48-port switch has 48 of these services defined.

This doesn't work: port traffic is not accurately represented, nor are
errors.

It appears that I need a separate cache file for each port.

Is there an easy way to configure a cache file based on the host *and*
port, or some other clever workaround?  Is there any easier way to
configure traffic and error checking for every port on a device?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
Latest book:  Cisco Routers for the Desperate, 2nd Edition