[Nagiosplug-help] Plugin for measuring ressource starvation (I/O and CPU) in a virtual machine

Ian Rarity Ian.Rarity at espc.com
Tue Mar 31 12:18:12 CEST 2009

One thing that I've found handy is to check for the presence of the "VMWare balloon driver"; if it's loaded, then the host that the VM's running on is looking for resources and using this to reclaim memory from its guests.  You can, of course, just install NRPE/NSClient/whatver on the VM and monitor it that way as well.  It depends on how your resource allocation is done, but I have seen VM's reporting 90% CPU utilisation while their host blade insists that everything's fine.

Ta,
IR.

Ian Rarity
Technical Engineer