[Nagiosplug-help] check_mysql creating user via phpmyadmin

Mike Saldivar mike.saldivar at advocatecreditrepair.com
Thu May 21 00:06:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:36 PM, David Gossage <dgossage at zacks.com> wrote:

>  Access denied for user 'nagios'@'qeren.zacks.com' (using password: YES)
>
> And oddly it's the opposite for the original server which works in nagios,
> but returns same error on commandline.
>
> Here is what the current permissions are set to which is the same as on the
> original server as far as I can tell.
> User:nagios Host:server.domain.com Password:Yes GlobalPrivileges:USAGEGrant:No

Each MySQL server needs to be told to allow nagios (or whatever the checking
username is) from the host doing the checking.  I don't know if you changed
the output pasted above, but where the error message says 'nagios'@'
qeren.zacks.com', the output you pasted at "current permissions are set to
which is the same as on the original server " says login permissions are
granted to 'nagios'@'server.domain.com'.  The host just needs to match the
Nagios server's name, as seen by the MySQL server.  Or it can be an IP
address.

If your Nagios server is queren.zacks.com, then each individual MySQL server
needs to allow 'nagios' to log in from 'qeren.zacks.com'.  You'd enable it
by running a grant statement such as this, within MySQL, on each server:

GRANT SELECT ON *.* TO  'nagios'@'qeren.zacks.com' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD
'plaintextpassword';

Grant and add user syntax are at:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/create-user.html