[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe plugins work fine for a while then start throwing "NRPE: unable to read output"

Kyle Smith kyles at apple.com
Sat May 23 18:14:57 CEST 2009

Hey folks,

Just an update to anyone listening, I got nrpe debug logging working
for OSX. I checked into the source and noticed that any messages sent
by the call to syslog with LOG_NOTICE, LOG_WARNING, or LOG_ERR as the
first parameter were working fine but if the first param to syslog was
LOG_DEBUG I never saw that message. So I changed all calls to syslog
with LOG_DEBUG as first param to use LOG_WARNING as first param
instead. Re-compiled nrpe and moved the binary in place (/usr/local/
nagios/bin) and bounced nrpe and now I'm seeing all those lovely log
messages from nrpe.

w00t!

kyle