[Nagiosplug-help] Notification sent to two different recipients?

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Sat Oct 17 20:51:05 CEST 2009

On 16/10/09 07:57 PM, Jason Lee wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I'd like to enable Nagios host and service alert notifications to be sent to different e-mail recipients.  Meaning, when a nagios monitored host/service goes down, it sends an e-mail to one recipient.  When a host/service goes into a recovery state, an e-mail is sent to a different e-mail recipient.
>
> I have added two different groups in my contacts.cfg file.
>

> define contact{
>         contact_name                    nagiosadmin             ; Short name of user
>         use                             generic-contact         ; Inherit default values from generic-contact in template.cfg
>         alias                           Nagios Admin            ; Full name of user
>         email                           nagiosadmin             ; Email nagiosadmin
>         host_notification_options       d                       ; Notify Nagios admin when host goes down
>         service_notification_options    c,w                     ; Notify Nagios admin when service becomes critical or warning
>         }
>
> define contact{
>         contact_name              nagiosrecover           ; Short name of user
>         use                             generic-contact         ; Inherit default values from generic-contact in template.cfg
>         alias                           nagiosrecover           ; Full name of user
>         email                          nagiosrecover           ; Email nagiosrecover
>         host_notification_options       r                       ;Email nagiosrecover when host recovers
>         service_notification_options    r                       ; Email nagiosrecover when service recovers
>         }
>

> When run /root/nagios to check my configuration I receive the errors:
>
> Warning: Host recovery notification option for contact 'nagiosrecover' doesn't make any sense - specify down and/or unreachable options as well
> Warning: Service recovery notification option for contact 'nagiosrecover' doesn't make any sense - specify critical and/or warning options as well
>
> If I specify host_notification_options "d,u,r,f,s" I have no problems.   But that defeats the purpose of notify two different e-mail distribution lists.

Recovery notifications are sent only when a problem notification was
sent for the same contact. If there's no other option there's no point
of selecting recoveries.

In my setup for instance, pagers get only down/critical emails, while
the distribution list gets all down/critical/warning + recoveries. It is
pretty odd to have only recoveries going to an email without any
matching alert (i.e. no way to see when it went down).

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?    Should I use a different cfg file other than the contacts.cfg file.

Have a special command for sending the recoveries that filter them out.
Maybe even this may do it:

in contacts:
  service_notification_commands notify-recoveries-by-email
  host_notification_commands    host-notify-recoveries-by-email

define command{
  command_name  host-notify-recoveries-by-email
  command_line  [ x"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" == xRECOVERY ] && <command>
  }

define command{
  command_name  notify-recoveries-by-email
  command_line  [ x"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$" == xRECOVERY ] && <command>
  }

where <command> is your usual host/service notification command.

I haven't tested though, if it doesn't work you may have to wrap it up
in a shell script.

- --
Thomas