[Nagiosplug-help] Problems with check_ntp_time v1.4.14 NTP CRITICAL: Offset unknown|

Elie Delorme elie at at-m.ca
Wed Feb 17 17:37:30 CET 2010

Hi Mike,
the servers have no software firewall (iptables is removed), we have a cisco
pix firewall between our local zones and it is configured to allow ntp
communications to/from the server hosting nagios and I haven't seen anything
bounce on the logs.

The ntp server is on the same server I have nagios installed on and remote
hosts have ntpd  configured to allow everything from it.

The problem isn't limited to one host, I have been receiving "Offset
unknown" statuses for different hosts at seemingly random rates today.

I can ntpq from the nagios server to "problematic" hosts and everything
seems fine :

[root at nagios-server ~]# ntpq 555.555.555.555
ntpq> peers
 jitter
 666.666.666.666  777.777.777.777     2 u   18   64   17    0.248   38.592
 27.076

IPs have been replaced:
555.xxx is the peer being checked
666.xxx is the server hosting nagios and the ntpd server
777.xxx is the remote ntp server we are using