[Nagiosplug-help] Running local checks on windows systems?

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 19:10:24 CET 2010

There appears to be multiple ways of doing the local checks on Windows
systems, and while there is commentary on the strengths and weaknesses
of them in google, I've found the contrasts somewhat vague.

So please allow me to describe my understanding of the strengths and
weaknesses here, and hopefully People In the Know(tm) will jump in and
correct me where I'm off.

Here goes:

nsclient:
* Both a windows service and a protocol,
* I've not looked at this one that much, as it appears to be superseded
by nsclient++.
* Connected to using Nagios plugin check_nt.

nsclient++
* A windows service that can serve up either or both of the nsclient and
NRPE protocols.
* Has an assortment of DLL's implementing the various checks, whether
you connect using the nsclient protocol (check_nt) or the NRPE protocol
(check_nrpe).
* Allows you to continue using check_nt, which is nice if you already
have some nagios checks based on that.
* Allows you to start using check_nrpe for some things, but those things
appear to require a dll?  As such, it seems to paint you into a corner;
if you get a bunch of NRPE checks going based on nsclient++, it appears
that a future move to NRPE_NT is made more complicated.
* Granted, you could probably write a dll that just accepts arguments
and treats them as a bash/powershell command.  Or is there something
that already does this in nsclient++?

nrpe_nt
* A windows service that serves up the NRPE protocol, just like on *ix.
* Allows you to use the same sort of plugin architecture for local
checks that is used on *ix - enabling one to use the many plugins for
Windows at
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Uncategorized/Operating-Systems/Windows-NRPE
* Is this the reason why people are saying that NRPE is the way forward,
not NSClient?

sshd
* Available as a cygwin sshd or via freesshd.  Speaks the ssh protocol(s)
* Allows you to use the same sort of plugin architecture for local
checks that is used on *ix - again enabling one to use the many plugins
for Windows at
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Uncategorized/Operating-Systems/Windows-NRPE
* Perhaps a little slower than NRPE, especially if you use NRPE without SSL
* Much better authenticated than NRPE_NT, because NRPE_NT just uses
IP-based authentication, while ssh is RSA public key with mutual auth
* Probably harder to lock down to a list of specific commands than NRPE_NT

SNMP
* Another possibility I've not looked into much, at least not in a
Nagios context.
* Decent authentication in version 3, not so good in versions 1 and 2c.
* Allows access to a LOT of stuff

I'll add that one could probably run nsclient++ with the nsclient
protocol enabled and nsclient++'s NRPE protocol support disabled, and
also run NRPE_NT - on the same machine.  It seems like this would allow
compatibility with existing check definitions, and give a nicer path
forward - because where new plugins are needed, they could just be
scripts in your favorite scripting language; they wouldn't need to be
dll's in Windows-specific C or something.

OK folks - where am I off?  Please tear it to shreds.

Thanks!