[Nagiosplug-help] connection refused by host (UNCLASSIFIED)
Ian.Rarity at espc.com
Thu Jan 14 11:47:40 CET 2010
There's also the possibility of a firewall on the NRPE-running system blocking access to the port. NRPE logs to /var/log/messages by default, so you might want to have a look in there. Popular phrases may include:
- Unable to open config file <file> for reading
- Config file <file> contained errors, bailing out...
- Host <IP Address> is not allowed to talk to us!
Posting the output of "grep nrpe /var/log/messages" would probably be helpful.
ESPC (UK) Ltd.
ian.rarity at espc.com
From: Marc Powell [mailto:marc at ena.com]
Sent: 13 January 2010 19:17
To: Nagios Plugin Help List
Subject: Re: [Nagiosplug-help] connection refused by host (UNCLASSIFIED)
On Jan 13, 2010, at 12:49 PM, DeSelms, Jack C Mr CTR USA TRADOC wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
> What permissions would cause the 'connection refused by host'?
None, assuming NRPE is able to start...
> I have checked the obvious, three times.
What's 'the obvious' to you? What have you checked/verified? How did you install NRPE, what OS's are involved and what configuration have you done?
The more specific information you provide about your installation and configuration leads to more useful answers. In the meantime --
- NRPE isn't running.
- NRPE isn't running on the port you believe it is.
- NRPE isn't listening on the IP you believe it is.
- NRPE isn't configured to accept connections from your nagios server IP
- NRPE is being run out of (x)inetd but you didn't restart (x)inetd after adding the NRPE configuration
- NRPE is being run out of (x)inetd and you have restrictions there preventing the access
- check_nrpe is being asked to contact an IP/host that is not running NRPE
- You have SELinux restrictions in place that are causing problems on either side.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/espc
Private and Confidential: This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, disclose, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify our E-mail Systems Administrator on +44 (0) 131 624 8000. ESPC (UK) Ltd does not accept any liability for any harm that may be caused to the recipient's system or data by this message or any attachment.
ESPC (UK) Ltd is a company registered under the Companies Acts in Scotland (Registered Number SC203585), and having its registered office at 90A George Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH2 3DF.
ESPC (UK) Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Accord Consultancy which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
More information about the Help