[Nagiosplug-help] Need to solve the following issues

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Sep 23 20:21:35 CEST 2010

On 23 September 2010 17:52, Leandro Roggerone
<leandro_roggerone at dmcwireless.com> wrote:
>  Hi , My name is leo , this is the first time im going to post my
> questions, im working on an isp and I need to solve some monitoring
> issues on our core. I have read two guides about nagios but I still have
> some problems getting some plugins to work.
> So here they are:
>
> I need to monitor some especific proces on local and remote linux machines:
> Eg:
>
> I need like to know if named is running in my local machine.

Personally I would use check_snmp_process.pl from
http://nagios.manubulon.com/ for that.  You'll need to enable snmp on
your local server if you haven't done so already.  The good thing
about this plugin is it works the same whether it's local or remote
server you want to monitor.

> I need to know if my shaper stoped working on a remote machine.

You'll need to think about what's the easiest way you can test for
that.  Probably an snmp query using the standard check_snmp plugin if
you can find a suitable OID to query.

> I need to meassure the traffic on an especific interface and to set an
> alarm when it fals or exced some trigger lever.

Again, look at http://nagios.manubulon.com/ .  This time it's the
check_snmp_int plugin you need.  This can be a little fiddly to get
working, but usually produces good results.  Use snmp v2 to query the
64-bit counters otherwise you'll find they cycle round too quickly.
Bear in mind this one writes temporary files so if you test as
yourself, go find the files and make sure their writeable by nagios
before you let nagios use them.

> I would like to monitor the temperature of my hardware. (cisco and linux
> machines).

For the Cisco devices again look at http://nagios.manubulon.com/ ,
this time the check_snmp_env plugin.

How you monitor temperature of your linux hosts will depend a lot on
what your hardware and operating-system is.  It looks like on my
simple Acer netbook here I can monitor temperature (I guess of the
CPU) by querying the OID LM-SENSORS-MIB::lmTempSensorsValue.1  If you
have Dell OpenManage agent or something similar installed, you might
well find there are other OIDs you can query.

hth,

Jim