[Nagiosplug-help] DNS Performance

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Apr 6 10:38:57 CEST 2011

On 5 April 2011 21:36, Leandro Roggerone
<leandro_roggerone at dmcwireless.com> wrote:
>  Hello to all !! my isp is experimenting some service interruptions , i
> m thinking it could something related to my primary dns server ...
> is there some tool to monitor my dns ?
> Activity, performance, rejected queries ... everything that can help me
> to solve this problem,
> Im talking about Nagios or Cacti tool , but i can also be other as well,
> Thanks in advance , I have alwais found some help here!!

As John said, use the check_dns plugin.

One thing I've noticed especially using the check_dns plugin is that
if my Nagios server is busy (high CPU), the response times for
check_dns can be longer than usual.  This sounds obvious, but just
bear it in mind before jumping to the assumption that your DNS server
is slow.

cheers,

Jim