[Nagiosplug-help] Weird DNS issues and plugins

John Murphy S. John.Murphy2 at kmart.com.au
Mon Dec 5 01:10:19 CET 2011

Hi Guys,
The DNS servers at a sister company went down last week and among the other arm flailing madness that ensued was a very curious Nagios plugins (1.4.15) problem. Despite the DNS search orders in our resolv.conf starting with our DNS servers and finishing with that particular sister companies check_nt and check_nrpe (most noticeably) were timing out (taking longer than 10 seconds to reply) for every server.

If we were to run any native linux command on the Nagios box name resolution was instantaneous as expected (ping, ssh, telnet, etc). The minute we tried check_nt with a hostname or even more curiously an FQDN it would take somewhere between 15 ~ 25 seconds to respond. The only plausible reason I can think of for this is that for some reason it's doing the DNS lookup order backwards. What further cements this idea is that the other Nagios server was completely unaffected but does not have the other companies DNS in its resolv.conf.

It's not really a catastrophic issue... but it might be worth investigating.

Thanks,
John Murphy

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential
information and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
this e-mail immediately. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright
is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in
error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any
attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is
free from computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any
loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's
responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be limited to
resupplying the material.