[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp with --rate when counter is reset back to zero

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Sep 16 10:29:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've recently started monitoring some counter metrics using check_snmp
using the new --rate option (many thanks for that - very useful!).

When some of our servers were rebooted recently, the counters were
reset back to zero so the plugin returned a massively negative number
which in turn has made the PNP graphs of the performance data look
rather strange.

The options I'm using are:

-C $USER8$ -m NOTES-MIB --rate --rate-multiplier 3600 -o
lnRepSuccessful.0 -u "replications/hour" -w 1000: -c 500:

Is there any way I can run check_snmp so that it ignores large changes
or negative jumps in the counter, or if not please can I request this
as a new feature?

many thanks,

Jim