[Nagiosplug-help] mysql unable to connect to database

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at jokefire.com
Sat Jun 16 19:57:02 CEST 2012

Hello,

 I'm trying to use the check_mysqld.pl plugin from the exchange.

 When I run the command from the nagios server on the command line it seems to succeed:

[root at cloud:/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects] #/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H beta.domain.com -c check_mysqld
MYSQL 5.5.23 OK

But in the nagios web interface the check fails with a critical error:

CRITICAL ERROR - Unable to connect to database '' on server 'localhost' on port 3306 with user '' - Access denied for user 'nagios'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

 If I run the plugin on the client end as the nagios user this is what the run looks like:

 [nagios at beta ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mysqld.pl
 MYSQL 5.5.23 OK

 In the command definition I did allow space for the username and password just in case I had a problem implementing it remotely:

# 'check_mysqld' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_mysqld
      command_line    $USER1$/check_mysqld.pl -u $ARG1$ -p $ARG2$
}

My service definition was pretty straight forward:

# Define a service to check MYSQL on the local machine.define service{
        use                             local-service
        host_name                       beta
        service_description             MYSQL
        check_command                   check_mysqld
        notifications_enabled           0
        }

(leaving notifications disabled until I sort this out)

In my nrpe command definition on the client, this is what I have:

command[check_mysqld]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mysqld.pl -u root -p secret

So I am wondering why this check fails with the above error in the web interface when it succeeds on the command line as I have shown.

Thanks!
Tim