[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp: issue with labels that have spaces / quotes

Johnson, James A J1Johnson at unum.com
Mon Sep 10 19:36:56 CEST 2012

Hello!

First timer here with an issue involving check_snmp. Basically, the -l option to specify a label isn't working properly when I want to use a label with spaces (in quotes). The check works OK, but the display in nagios as well as check_mk is wrong. I know that some may think that's it a nagios issue, and it might be, but I thought I would ask here first ... maybe others may have found a solution:

Here's the check_snmp command I'm using:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H target_server -C community_name -l "F5 Pool Name:" -P 2c -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.2.5.1.2.1.1.25.xxx.[...].xxx

Here's the response:

SNMP OK - F5 Pool Name: "my F5 pool" |

Now that's working perfectly - but when I look in nagios or check_mk, I see this:

SNMP OK - "my F5 pool"

And that's not correct - the custom label should be showing. I've tried different quotes, escaping, everything. Now when I only use a single word in the label, it works fine, but that's not what I need for these checks. I need more detailed labels that don't have dashes or underscores separating the words.

I've had this problem in v1.4.15 and v1.4.16 - anyone know of a solution?

Thanks!

- Jim