[Nagiosplug-help] check_ntp returns critical (not unknown) when NTP server not found and -q specified on command line

David Young davidy at funkypenguin.co.nz
Tue Jun 11 05:32:05 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with the check_ntp plugin... the usage
arguments read:

  -q, --quiet
     Returns UNKNOWN instead of CRITICAL if offset cannot be found

But, when I run it against a server which happens NOT to be running NTP,
it still results in an error:

# /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_ntp_time -H 8.8.8.8 -w 2 -c 5 -q
NTP CRITICAL: No response from NTP server

This is causing havoc on my network when I reboot my NTP server, since
every host I monitor suddenly throws up critical alerts because they
can't contact the NTP server.

I'm running check_ntp_time v1.4.16 (nagios-plugins 1.4.16)

Any ideas? :)

Thanks,