MK LiveStatus install question

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 5 11:28:38 CET 2013

On 2013-11-04 17:19, Daniel Ceola wrote:
> Good morning all.
>
> I'm attempting to configure MK LiveStatus so that I can install NagVis on my Nagios Core installation.
>
> I'm following through the MK LiveStatus setup instructions located http://mathias-kettner.de/checkmk_livestatus.html.  I am attempting to do the manual installation of livestatus without the rest of the check_mk stuff.
>
> I've downloaded the source file (http://mathias-kettner.de/download/mk-livestatus-1.2.2p2.tar.gz), unpacked it, ran ./configure followed by make install; then added the suggested lines ("broker_module=/usr/local/lib/mk-livestatus/livestatus.o /var/lib/nagios/rw/live" and "event_broker_options=-1") to my nagios.cfg file, and restarted Nagios.  When I look at the nagios.log file, I see the following messages:
>

> [1383580496] livestatus: Livestatus 1.2.2p2 by Mathias Kettner. Socket: '/var/lib/nagios/rw/live'
> [1383580496] livestatus: Please visit us at http://mathias-kettner.de/
> [1383580496] livestatus: Hint: please try out OMD - the Open Monitoring Distribution
> [1383580496] livestatus: Please visit OMD at http://omdistro.org
> [1383580496] livestatus: Unable to bind adress /var/lib/nagios/rw/live to UNIX socket: No such file or directory
> [1383580496] Error: Function nebmodule_init() in module '/usr/local/lib/mk-livestatus/livestatus.o' returned an error.  Module will be unloaded.
>

> So it seems that the directory that the software is trying to use for the Unix socket doesn't exist (confirmed this when attempting to browse to that directory).   The installation instructions mention changing that file path (/var/lib/nagios/rw/live) to the directory that Nagios Pipe resides in - but doesn't specify the correct method for changing this file path, and I am also not familiar with what this file path is on Nagios Core 3.5installed on Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> Do I just need to manualy create the directory /var/lib/nagios/rw/live possibly?

Either that or set the path to the socket as an argument to the module
in nagios.cfg, like so:

broker_module=</path/to/livestatus.o> </desired/path/to/socket>

For example, in my config I have the following, all on one line:

broker_module=/opt/monitor/op5/livestatus/livestatus.o
/opt/monitor/var/rw/live log_file=/dev/null

which puts the livestatus socket in /opt/monitor/var/rw.

HTH.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.