check_smtp and authentication

Gareth Fletcher gareth.fletcher at onenet.co.nz
Mon Feb 17 21:41:04 CET 2014

Hi Alex!

It seems as though check_smtp doesn't actually send an email, just checks to see if it can connect via SMTP to the server. In the below case, it connected + authenticated fine.

There are some other plugins e.g. check_smtp_send that also sends an email (e.g. http://buhacoff.net/software/check_email_delivery/manual.html - I just found this via google so YMMV). If I were you and only going to setup check_smtp_send, it seems better to just setup a cronjob or something to send a test email every minute or so - then you can check the recipient mailbox via a nagios check (check email arrived in last n minutes + delete old ones) to make sure all your pipes are working properly.

We use check_smtp to check our mail servers, also checks on the active send/receive smtp sessions/mail queues across our servers (these would do weird things if things break), and also use a completely external monitoring service (alertsite) for end-end mailflow monitoring - that escalates via phone.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
Gareth