check_ftp & FTPS (NOT SFTP)

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Mon Feb 2 11:14:44 CET 2015

Am 22.01.2015 um 11:33 schrieb Samuel Mutel:
> Hello,
>
> Can you tell me if check_ftp plugin support FTPS ??
> I tried option -S but I have error message below:
> CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection.
> 139849289189224:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
> protocol:s23_clnt.c:766:
>
> Regards,
> Samuel Mutel.

Hi Samuel,

I get the same error when I try to access a ftps server.

My thoughts are that client and server do not succeed to negotiate a
common protocol standard. Maybe the server does not allow SSL2/3
connections, but TLS only, and the plugin does not try that? The
"SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO" brought that to me...

Trying to connect via wget fails as well, but curl works. On my host,
check_ftp, wget and curl are linked against libssl.so.0.9.8, so this
should not be a library problem.

Regards,
Werner