check_ping question

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Fri Jul 10 15:38:41 CEST 2015

Joseph Ronie [09.07.2015 16:30]:
> I was looking at your website.  I found the check_ping plugin.
>

> If I add this service to a client Config. Does Nagios do the ping, or does the client do the ping?
>
> I am hoping the ping comes from the client PC.

This plugin is intended for the server to check whether the client is up
or not. So normally, you define a check on the server that invokes the
plugin directly.

But when you want to use this plugin on the client, this is not a
problem. Just define a nrpe check on the server and use nrpe to
translate it into the check_ping.

HTH,
Werner