Help with check_nt Nagios Plugin

Andrew Grabowski agrabowski at trlm.com
Mon Jan 27 20:35:43 CET 2020

Hi there,

Hope all is well on your end. I have a question regarding usage of the check_nt plugin. Maybe you have some insight on what is happening and why I can get my expected result.

Use Case:
I want to be able to check the current bandwidth of my networking adapter on a windows 2012 server. The Network adapter is a NIC team. It is two 10Gbps NICs. Essentially I want to alert if one of the two NICs has failed.. Essentially the current bandwidth would be 10Gbps (1 failed) Vs 20Gbps when both are working.

I checked with windows performance monitor and the NIC is called:
"Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver"

This is the nagios check I am using:
check_nt!COUNTER!-l "\\Network Adapter(Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver)\\Current Bandwidth" -w 20000000000: -c 20000000000:

Per google, if there is a col. to the right of a number, I should see an alert if result drops below value.
In above example I am expecting a warning and a critical alert to be generated if the current bandwidth falls below 20Gbps.
When testing. My output shows "20000000000" when both NICs are active. When I disbable one, I get "10000000000"

>From my testing, it seems that the check_nt plugin, does not support a ":" (colon) parameter. I cannot get it to alert when only one nic is active.

Can you please confirm this is the case? I might be doing something wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you,
Andrew Grabowski