check_dns plugin

Alex Gunn Alex.Gunn at hl.co.uk
Thu May 14 09:09:29 CEST 2020

Good afternoon,

I have a couple of questions about the check_dns plugin that I was hoping you could answer. We're trying to use the plugin in a service check which could return any IP in a certain subnet. We're attempting to use CIDR notation to achieve that but aren't having any luck with it. We have two instances of Opsview running on our network. One using check_dns 2.2 from monitoring-plugins and one using 2.3.1 from Nagios-plugins. Neither of their man pages include a reference to CIDR

However, this suggests that CIDR should work from version 2.3 onwards:
https://github.com/monitoring-plugins/monitoring-plugins/blob/master/NEWS

Where this manual for 2.2 says that it should accept CIDR:
https://www.monitoring-plugins.org/doc/man/check_dns.html

And this manual for 2.3.3 again doesn't mention CIDR
https://nagios-plugins.org/doc/man/check_dns.html

Is there any difference in the versions available from monitoring-plugins and Nagios-plugins? Can you confirm which instance of either should accept CIDR and whether either of our instances should accept CIDR?

Thanks,

Alex Gunn
Network Support Engineer
Hargreaves Lansdown

alex.gunn at hl.co.uk<mailto:alex.gunn at hl.co.uk>
0117 906 7807 (ext: 3607)

One College Square South
Anchor Road
Bristol, BS1 5HL

[cid:image001.png at 01D629C6.FCB17500]<http://www.hl.co.uk/>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D629C6.FCB17500]<https://twitter.com/HLInvest>[cid:image003.jpg at 01D629C6.FCB17500]<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hargreaves-Lansdown/139193179458411>[cid:image004.jpg at 01D629C6.FCB17500]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/37491/>

This email is intended solely for the recipient and is confidential and not for third party unauthorised distribution. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this email or notifying the system manager (online.security at hl.co.uk).  If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email.

Any opinions expressed in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hargreaves Lansdown. In addition, staff are not authorised to enter into any contract through email and therefore nothing contained herein should be construed as such. Hargreaves Lansdown makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained within this email. In particular, Hargreaves Lansdown does not accept responsibility for any changes made to this email after it was sent.

Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management Limited (Company Registration No 1896481), Hargreaves Lansdown Fund Managers Limited (No 2707155) and Hargreaves Lansdown Advisory Services Limited (No 3509545) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and registered in England and Wales. The registered office for all companies is One College Square South, Anchor Road, Bristol, BS1 5HL. Telephone: 0117 988 9880