check_tcp

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Thu Feb 25 10:10:34 CET 2021

Am 2021-02-24 um 10:57 schrieb Piotr Kilar:
> Hello,
> I'm using Your check_tcp plugin and i'm need to monitor stunnel, but got
> one issue.
> When stunnel certificates are expired or remote host is rejecting my
> connection check_tcp is showing me OK - port is open, and it is true
> because there is open local tcp port binded by stunnel process. But when
> using f.e. telnet i can see that "Connection closed by remote host" and see
> why in stunnel logs. Is it possible to adapt check_tcp to show CRIT in that
> cases (immediate port closure by remote host)?
>
> best regards,
> Piotr

Hi Piotr,

check_tcp does exactly what its name says: it checks a tcp port. Since
the port is open, the result is OK.

If you want to check on an SSL certificate, you should use other
plugins, like check_ssl_cert. Or try to initiate some traffic over the
port, whatever software is at the back end of the stunnel (like, mail,
web server, ...).

HTH,
Werner