About check_ups, shows OK when the UPS is ON ALARM

Julián Metelski jmetelski at monssa.com.ar
Mon Oct 4 16:38:07 CEST 2021

Hello, good day/night!

Following the advice in this page:
https://www.monitoring-plugins.org/doc/man/check_ups.html

I'm writing because I found a behavior I want to know if it's correct.

Some days ago, we had one UPS overheat (fan failed) and we didn't get
any notification, the plugin showed status "OK", we only found out
because someone entered the server room and heard the beeping.

Checking the output of "upsc" we found this:
(fields I think relevant marked with asterisks)

battery.charge: 74
battery.voltage: 79.56
battery.voltage.high: 83.91
battery.voltage.low: 67.13
battery.voltage.nominal: 77.5
device.mfr: UPS
device.model: Model 3000
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_ser
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 1.57
input.current.nominal: 14.0
input.frequency: 50.0
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 212.0
input.voltage.fault: 0.0
input.voltage.nominal: 220
output.voltage: 212.0
ups.alarm: UPS selftest failed!  *************
ups.beeper.status: disabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.firmware:  Ver 02.9B
ups.load: 78
ups.mfr: UPS
ups.model: Model 3000
ups.status: ALARM OL    **********************
ups.temperature: 29.0
ups.type: online

The check_ups plugin reports "OK" condition, see this when I run it
manually:

./check_ups -H somehost -u ups_name -T
UPS OK - Status=Online, Unknown Utility=209,0V Batt=74,0% Load=79,0%
Temp=29,0C|voltage=209000mV;;;0 battery=74%;;;0;100 load=79%;;;0;100
temp=29degC;;;0

(notice the "unknown" next to "online", when the alarm clears, this
disappears)

We had to replace the fan and put the UPS in operation again.
To further test, I put the same UPS in manual bypass, and I also got
"OK" status:

UPS OK - Status=Online, On Bypass Utility=203,0V Batt=75,0% Load=78,0%
Temp=31,0C|voltage=203000mV;;;0 battery=75%;;;0;100 load=78%;;;0;100
temp=31degC;;;0

The plugin detects the bypass, but displays OK status.

Is this the expected behavior?
I would assume the bypass condition would trigger a WARNING, and the
ALARM condition would trigger a CRITICAL status.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Julian

--