[Nagiosplug-devel] Next release of plugins

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy+nagios at undergrid.net
Mon Jun 30 06:33:12 CEST 2003

	See notes inline...


On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:26:04AM -0400, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> There are unrsolved issues with check_disk syntax.
> The docs are not up to snuff -- we wanted to build man pages and an
> index from embedded commnets (my project, my lack of time, entirely my
> fault)
	This was what I was trying to find out... My main thought was to
try and drum up what exactly we felt needed work on still before we
could look at a release time table... To my knowledge we didn't have
any specific goal as to what we wanted to make in the 1.4 release...

> There is a cry for internationalizing. (Again, I'm the hold up, but
> anybody could step in. We decided the approach was GNU gettext, step one
> would be to alter the make to create the source language files from the
> code. Then we need to open up a separate part of the CVS tree and
> recruit maintanres [we have one for French]. Sourcefore does allow us to
> marl CVS in such a way that a language maintainer will not be able to
> commit to the entire tree -- we need to research and implement that).
	To me it sounds like the move to internationalizing the plugins
will be no small feat... Much like the modifications to AF-independent
code where a good deal of the socket code was changed and then making
sure it work with older libraries without IPv6 support... Would it not
be a good idea as Ton mentioned in his post that the internationalizing
be pushed to the 1.5/2.0 release.. This would give us atleast one firm
target to work on for the next release...

	As for the CVS setup to allow specific developers specific
access to sections is not hard and I've done it before... If it's
desired I can handle setting that up if no one else has the bandwidth to
deal with it... Might even do this with the docs as it would allow for
the potential for a non-developer to work on them for a different
perspective on the work... Consider it an eval of the developers to make
sure the doc writer clearly understands what is going on...

> I could go along with a 1.3.99 release, but I would prefer not to do
> that even. I'm thinking more like mid-August at best. I'm sure that's
> not what you hoped to hear, and if there group weighs in otherwise, I'll
> defer of course. But that's my opinion.
	Mid-August sounds like a good target... Now lets just divide up
what needs to be done by then to keep us on target for it... Hey we're
open-source we can always bump it back to make sure we do a solid
release but need to have some goal to start from :)

More information about the Devel mailing list