[Nagiosplug-devel] Performance output of the disk plugin

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 07:19:12 CEST 2004

Jaap,

 From the perspective of PerfParse, this unfortunately does not
understand a range of data.  Due to a flaw in the original data
structure, it can only store a single value each for the critical and
warn values.  Further, it uses these to draw just single line on the
graphs.  Considerable work would be required to rebuild the product for
a range.

You are the first person I have ever seen who has requested support for
this, and as far as I know, not a single plugin uses this format :)

I do note that the range you specify in this case adds no more
information to the output than using threshold values.

Somebody here might correct me on this:  I believe the range is used
where an OK range may be either side of a WARN range, which it's self is
either side of a CRITICAL range.  Set by specifying overlapping ranges:

  OK [-WARN--[--CRITIAL--]--WARN-] OK

Or in reverse where the '@' is used: an OK range sits between a WARN
range, which sits between a CRITICAL range:

---CRITICAL-]--WARN-] OK [-WARN--[-CRITIAL---

I do wish to support this one day in PerfParse as this is a powerful
option.  If any person here can shine a light on how the ranges should
correctly be used, and how to understand overlapping ranges, and most
important, will standard plugins be written to use these, and if so,
when?  I would be interested in knowing :)

Regards, Ben.