[Nagiosplug-devel] New Plugin: Check SNMP OperStatus by given IP Address

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Apr 26 07:04:46 CEST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Hendrik Baecker wrote:

> Hi Lists,
>
> I've just sit down in my sandbox and wrote a little Perl Script to get the
> SNMP Interface Operating Status by a given IP Adress of an Subinterface.
>
> How it began: Until yesterday we were checking our Cisco Router Subinterfaces
> witch the normal check_snmp with the OID to the OperStatus.
>
> Every time a router bootet or other Interfaces went away or comes new,
> possibly the hole configured SNMP IDs for every single Subinterface were
> wrong.
> So I had a look how MRTG is working and grepped some idea from it.
>
> The Plugin must be called with 4 Arguments: Host IP, Community, Interface IP,
> Expected Value of OperStatus.
>
> It uses a Mysql DB with a little table to store the last checked SNMP ID for
> the Interfaces, update the table if the ID has changed.
>
> More Information at:
>
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/SNMP.51.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=251
>
> Sorry, but until now there is no realy Project Homepage, just a dead link to
> a private Gaming Site of mine... If I got enough time I will perhaps create
> some Webpage.
>
> Greetings
> Hendrik

Did you try the -d option on check_ifoperstatus? It allows you to specify
the interface description (ie. Serial0/1)

Also Cisco (since IOS 12.0) and most of the other vendors provide
configuration commands that prevent snmp from renumbering indexes across
reboots.

# snmp-server ifindex persist

--
-sg