[Nagiosplug-devel] Obsoleted contrib and tarballs files

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Sun Jun 26 09:29:20 CEST 2005

hey,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:17:08PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> I've been doing a "shallow audit" of the contrib and tarballs stuff in
> the nagiosplug CVS.
>
> In the tarballs directory, the following files are obsolete;
> berger-ping.tar.gz, There's already 2 ping programs, do we need another?

removed from cvs

> check_memory.tar.gz (won't work on recent platforms, and can easily be
> replaced by forking check_swap() and using it for memory checks).

removed from cvs.

> check_spread.tar, won't compile, poorly documented, no build instructions.

removed from cvs.

> check_traffic-0.91b.tar.gz, I've improved greatly on this and intend to
> submit a patch to make it one of the standard plugins.

i'll leave this until that happens then.

> radius.tar.gz, the same files are distributed with the radiusclient
> distribution.

removed from cvs.

> In the contrib directory;
> check_logins (obsoleted by the near-identical check_users)
> check_procl, check_procr; the same functionality can be obtained by
> check_procs.
> check_pop3.pl - check_tcp provides better functionality
> check_nwstat.pl - check_nwstat provides better functionality
> check_ftpget.pl - highly insecure (I can hack up a C version in about 10
> minutes if anyone's actually interested, without using local files).
> check_dl_size.pl - see check_ftpget.pl. somewhat obsoleted by check_http.

all of these removed from cvs.

> check_rbl.c, rblcheck* - abusive and cause for black-listing (which is
> funny, since they check for blacklisted domains)

abusive because of the typical frequency, or what?

> check_mem.pl - easily obsoleted by a fork of check_swap (or __progname
> logic).

then i'll leave this around until then.

> check_timeout.c - should really be in nagios/testing of the nagios core
> distribution, or dropped completely.

don't know enough about what this one does.

> check_mysql.c, check_mysql.pl, check_mysqlslave.pl - obsoleted by
> plugins/check_mysql.c (which is cleaner and has more features).

removed from cvs.

thanks,

	sean