[Nagiosplug-devel] Feature Request: Check_cluster2

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Apr 12 07:14:36 CEST 2007

On 11/04/07 05:36 AM, Matthias Eble wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
>> I'm not sure what you're trying there, and not even sure how this plugin
>> was intented to be used... Could be of great use for Nagios3 because you
>> can get the status codes of other host/services as macros, but how are
>> you supposed to use it otherwise?
>
> status codes of other services are already available in Nagios 2.x They
> are called "On Demand Macros" in the docs.
>

> The problem with the OK States is caused by check_cluster2's lack of
> range thresholds (like eg check_procs has). Maybe he wants to alert on
> split brain scenarios when a service is up on multiple nodes..

I'm getting it now... It would be easy to add -W and -C that would:
"Specifies the maximum number of hosts or services in cluster that can
be in a OK state before returning a WARNING/CRITICAL status level".

I'll do it only if we agree to include it in the main distribution.
Shall we keep the name "check_cluster2"? I think the "2" may confuse new
users, though renaming it to "check_cluster" would confuse old users.
Damn ;)

> Has anyone an idea why check_cluster2 is in contrib? To me it's quite a
> useful plugin for every nagios user.

Considering that it's simple, well written (authored by Ethan BTW) and
very useful for clusters I'd vote for including it.

Thomas