[Nagiosplug-devel] check_file_age thresholds

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Sat Feb 24 02:09:50 CET 2007

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:26:34AM -0800, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> I was looking at using check_file_age to monitor file size, but the current
> threshold format doesn't give much flexibility... Since there's no threshold
> functions in utils.pm should we copy them from Narios::Plugins to utils.pm,
> or rather start moving the perl plugins from using utils.pm to using
> Nagios::Plugins (and maybe bundling a specific Nagios::Plugins by installing
> it in @libexecdir@, although I think this can cause problem with ePN if
> Nagios::Plugins is already in @INC);

I think it's time to start migrating the utils.pm plugins to
Nagios::Plugin.

> Also considering that check_file_age is misleading as it can check file size
> as well, and also that using the standard threshold format would break
> backwards-compatibility, I was thinking about renaming it to check_file if
> we make it use standard thresholds formats.

I've also get a check_file perl plugin here:

  http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/nagios/check_file

that does mtime, size, and regex / error_regex checking using
Nagios::Plugin. It doesn't use standardised Nagios thresholds, though
(when I originally wrote it I wasn't aware of the dev standards on
threshold syntax).

I'm happy if you want to use that name, though, or if you want to
take code from that plugin, or if we'd like to include that plugin
instead of check_file_age, and standardise the threshold behaviour.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Gavin

--