[Nagiosplug-devel] !nrpe

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Fri May 4 23:18:18 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 16:45 +0200, Carl Ekman wrote:
> I have encountered numerous clients having problem getting NRPE running on old
> unices, and don't in particular like having to install a complete build
> environment on for instance Mac OS X just to perform checks.

i guess using a binary package is out of the question? :)

> So, I wrote a plugin that has the following purpose:
>
> Log on to the monitored host and perform commands that conform to the single
> unix specification, receive the data over SSH (or RSH) and parse it locally.
>
> I have attached a draft version of the plugin to this email, because I would
> be happy to receive some feedback on it.

this is pretty interesting though.  i had been talking with some folks
just a couple weeks ago about ways of monitoring remote hosts when you
might not have the liberty of installing software (i.e. you have login
rights but not admin rights and it would be "frowned upon" to go
installing a daemon in your home dir).

the method i had thought up was to take some of the existing "run this
command and check output" commands and redefine the command to be "ssh
host command", but that wasn't really generalizable without some serious
hacking, and i think this is a better idea.

for some feedback: it would be nice to have a list of these commands,
and define an "endpoint script" which would take a command name (and
maybe options) from stdin, and if it's in the list execute it.  this way
you could use ssh with a single keypair to execute commands.  or maybe
this would be more easily/properly done with a restricted bash shell or
something.  just off the top of my head anyway.

	sean