[Nagiosplug-devel] Libtap included in distribution

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Fri Aug 22 03:12:31 CEST 2008

On 21/08/08 11:27 AM, Ton Voon wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2008, at 03:50, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>
>> I just tested it on a server without tap... The problem seems to be a
>> simple dependency - you need to build tap before the actual tests...
>> Although I doubt the way you did it will use GL libraries...
>>
>> The problem with tap is that although it's using gnulib it's missing
>> some modules to work on some servers. I was thinking of including it
>> directly with nagiosplug's build system, i.e. in tap/.
>

> I am doing what you suggest: tap is in external/tap-1.01.
>
> You can tell ./configure to run ./configure in this directory.
> However, I can't hook this generally because it would also install tap
> on a system, when we only want it for testing purposes.

I sure we could make it work that way... we aren't installing
libnagiosplug.a neither. Don't use tap Makefiles, just tap code.

The code could be in /libtap and build after gl, so we could use gl for
missing libraries (which is the problem I wanted to solve in the first
place).

> Anyway, I think it works correctly now. If I take a locally created
> distribution on a host without libtap, and run ./configure --enable-
> libtap, it will run the tests correctly.

You checked with/without extra-opts, right? When you moved the place for
the TAP check in configure.in you also broke the optional extra-opts
checks as they are defined before. What bite you is that by NOT forcing
tap on a non-tap system, it would still try to build the extra-opts
tests, and with TAP enabled, it wasn't building them anymore since it
was overwriting the EXTRA_CHECKS (or something like that) variable with
the base ones!

> Let me know if I've missed anything. In a few days, I'll switch the
> tinderbox builds to include --enable-libtap so that we get more
> coverage from the tap tests.

I'll see... I might just do it myself too, as I want something else now.
To rewrite one of check_ntp_peer's functions I wrote a TAP check, and
I'd like to have tap tests on the plugins/ section as well (linking
against the .o files - I guess this should work).

It would be nice to move all libs to /lib too, there's a few remaining
ones in /plugins.

- --
Thomas