[Nagiosplug-devel] Please can I have GIT access

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 17:04:09 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 04:46:38PM +0200, Hiren Patel wrote:
> Alain Williams wrote:
> > In may I submitted a patch to check_procs along with complete documentation,
> > motivation, example config.
> >
> > It was discussed a couple of times, I pushed, some more chat then nothing.
> > People seemed happy with it, but no one did anything ... so I shall put it
> > into the repository myself.
> >
> > See:
> > 	https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397599&aid=2794120&group_id=29880
> >
> > Please give me a GIT account.
> >

> as far as I recall, there was some hesitance due to the patch causing
> the check to have a state file, and it's own configuration file (if I
> remember right).

I does not have a configuration file.

Yes: it does have a state file -- to record cpu hogging processes at the
time that it runs, so it can check if the same ones are running X minutes later.

I cannot see how else to do it - the information needs to be stored somewhere.
No one suggested anything else.

It could do something like checking for environemnt NAGIOS_STATE_DIR
and storing there -- overriding it's built in one. But that means a change
to nagios.

> personally I'm wondering if it's not perhaps better to have a separate
> check to specifically watch for cpu hogging, instead of putting that
> into check_procs.

It will also do detection of a process having more than the specified amount of

* virtual memory size
* resident set memory size
* percentage CPU
* time elapsed in seconds

This is all stuff monitored by check_procs already. All that I have done is
to allow detection of processes that exceed such a limit for more than a
certain time -- ie ignore short lived events.

You guys are hard to work with!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/