[Nagiosplug-help] Check-all script

jesper at rooth.com jesper at rooth.com
Mon Dec 9 00:19:03 CET 2002

Hi!

I'm about to move from our BMC Patrol enviroment to Nagios. We have
about 600 Solaris (Sparc)
machines and I wonder if it's possible to run this enviroment with
active checks (with NRPE) with
one monitor server.

With the host checks and service checks (about 5-10 per machine) we
would get about 5000 NRPE
requests. If we would like to check CPU load serval times per hour we
would get a huge scheduling
queue on the Nagios server.

Now to the questions/(solutions)! :)

1) Is it ok to run tests such as CPU load, swap, disk usage as
passive checks. Would this make
    the queue on the server faster/more efficiant?

2) If we run a distributed monitoring enviroment; do we have to
configure the hosts and services on
    the central server and in the check-only server?

3) To optimize the NRPE check procedure, would it be a good idea to
make a "check-all" script?
    This script would include all the checks and write a error
message only for the service down.
    The script would check cpu load, swap, memory usage, disk usage,
etc.

Best regards
Jesper Rooth