[Nagiosplug-help] check-radius and attributes

Pascal Wessel pascal.wessel at media-online.ch
Mon Dec 9 03:50:02 CET 2002

Well... Not sure it will help you...

Below is my check_radius settings

Add this in ../etc/checkcommands.cfg
#
#   Get tarball nagios Contrib plugins and compile check_radius.
#   Make sure you installed libradius-client and libradius-devel, needed
to compile this stuff.
#
define command {
command_name                    check_radius
command_line                   $USER1$/check_radius $ARG1$ $ARG2$
$HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$
}

Add this into ../etc/services.cfg

define service {
use                            generic-service          ; Name of
service template to use
host_name                      radius-server-name
service_description            RADIUS
is_volatile                    0
check_period                   24x7
max_check_attempts             3
contact_groups                 linux-admins
notification_interval          120
notification_period            24x7
notification_options           c,r
check_command
check_radius!myuser at mydomain.org!mypasswd!1812!secretkey
}

You problem is that you need to pass more parms than checkcommands.cfg
radius config allows...
Well, just add more $ARGn$ ???

Let's see how check_radius is compiled:
../libexec/check_radius --help
Usage: ./check_radius username passwd servername nas_port_id secretkey
[ppphint] [nasname]

Hum... Username is $ARG1$, password is $ARG2$, forget $HOSTADDRESS$
which is passed by the services.cfg config,
Radius Auth port is $ARG3$, the secret key is $ARG4$.

What about the [ppphint] stuff?
Well, just bypass it with quotes. At the command line try:
./check_radius username passwd servername nas_port_id secretkey ''
your-nas-name,
And look at the radius server log to see if it works. (Works here on my
configured radius and Nagios boxes).

If so, try to modify your checkcommands radius config like that:
$USER1$/check_radius $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$ $ARG5$
$ARG6$
   $ARG5$ would be the [ppphint]
   $ARG6$ would be the nas name.
And do not forget to modify services.cfg as well:
check_command
check_radius!myuser at mydomain.org!mypasswd!1812!secretkey!''!nas-name
Or even
check_command
check_radius!myuser at mydomain.org!mypasswd!1812!secretkey!!nas-name
Sorry I can't test the latest hack myself, I have only one nagios
instance running and I can't afford to have down time recorded for this
customer service.

Godd luck and have a nice day.
Pascal